One of the most impressive postcards in the South Zone of Rio de Janeiro is certainly Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon. The extensive lagoon in the center of the neighborhood presents a beautiful natural landscape that captivates everyone who knows it and provides fascinating photos.
The attraction is located in the neighborhood that also bears its name. Its location is on the banks of the region’s main roads, Epitácio Pessoa and Borges de Medeiros avenues.
The attraction is perfect for sports and walks, while enjoying views of unforgettable landscapes. It is definitely worth taking a trip to see the unique Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon.
In this article, we will tell the story behind the name given to Lagoa, which does not receive much focus and goes hand in hand with the past of Rio’s graceful South Zone.
In addition, we have put together some tips on what to do in the region, both for residents and visitors. The options that will be presented include restaurants from different cultures, bars and leisure attractions for the whole family.
Who was Rodrigo de Freitas
The charming Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon is, without a doubt, the highlight of its neighborhood and a source of great pride for everyone who lives in the capital of Rio.
However, the story behind this beautiful attraction is not generally known. For example, who was Rodrigo de Freitas and why was that the name given to name the lagoon?
Rodrigo de Freitas de Melo e Castro was born in São Paio, a pleasant and small region that is part of the municipality of Gouveia, located about 148 km from the capital of Portugal. At a very young age, Rodrigo embarked on a military career, enlisting in the Portuguese Army as a Cavalry officer. However, he did not live in Portugal for long.
In 1702, upon coming to Brazil, he married Petronilha Fagundes, the heiress of the vast region that today concentrates a large part of Rio’s South Zone. The property concentrated what are today the neighborhoods of Ipanema, Jardim Botânico, Gávea, Leblon, Copacabana and, of course, the Lagoa neighborhood.
Previously, the lagoon was called Piraguá or Sacopenapã, by the Tamoios indigenous tribe, which inhabited the Rio region. However, when he married Petronilha, the land was passed on to Rodrigo, who decided to name the lagoon after himself.
And, while he was in possession of the land, Captain Rodrigo de Freitas contributed to the development of the region, which saw its growth made possible through the construction of factories and other mills.
Currently, more than 300 years since it was named Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon, the attraction beautifies and enhances the infrastructure of the Lagoa neighborhood.
Living in a sophisticated home overlooking the enchanting Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon is a dream for many families. At INVEXO, you can discover the luxurious properties at this noble address in the South Zone of Rio de Janeiro.
The neighborhood has several parks and green areas, as well as bike paths, running tracks and an excellent commercial complex made up of restaurants, shops and various entertainment options. These and other characteristics make luxury properties in Lagoa some of the most sought after in the South Zone and in the entire Rio de Janeiro. Discover the properties available in this neighborhood now!
Restaurants in Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon
As it is one of the tourist attractions of the Marvelous City and because it receives countless visitors, the region around Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon is equipped with all the amenities necessary for everyday life.
Among the highlights of the neighborhood are pleasant alternatives of establishments that present the best of haute cuisine.
Whether you are a resident or a tourist in the region, we have selected some of the most visited establishments in the region that you will enjoy visiting, as well as some information to help you make your choice:
- Domino’s Pizza: One of the largest pizzeria franchises has one of its units located in the neighborhood. The establishment is perfect for those who prefer to taste delicious pizzas;
- Mr. Lam: A Chinese restaurant well located near the banks of the Lagoon. The infrastructure of the place displays refinement and its menu consists of classic delicacies from Chinese culture;
- Terrazza Garden: This is the restaurant option for those who prefer traditional French, Italian and Japanese dishes. And, an interesting detail: it is possible to enjoy a complete gastronomic experience with a privileged view of Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon;
- Rio Brasa Lagoa: A modern restaurant with a charming outdoor space, which combines a steakhouse, buffet and a different menu that includes sushi;
- Malta Beef Club: Refined establishment that presents a varied menu, with delicious delicacies that please all types of palates;
- Belmonte Restaurant: It is the best option for those who love a cold beer and traditional dishes from Brazilian culture.
The establishments have pleasant environments, located at accessible addresses both for those in Lagoa and in connection with neighboring neighborhoods.
In addition to these options, there are other restaurants that are worth visiting and that are located close to the Lagoa. The neighborhood’s gastronomic hub is very diverse and features establishments for the most different styles and preferences.
Bars in Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon
For those who prefer bars to restaurants, don’t worry. To follow the lively nightlife of Rio’s South Zone, there are incredible bar options near Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon, such as:
- La Carioca Cevicheria & Pisco Bar: It’s not just the name of the establishment that is unique! The bar is also a Peruvian gastropub that boasts a modern space, a very varied menu, specializing in ceviche and famous for its delicious craft beer;
- Classico Club Lagoa: Sophisticated establishment that will surprise you with its privileged view of Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon. The space also has good music and an incredible drinks menu;
- Parque Bar: Outdoor bar option close to Tom Jobim Park, with views of the Lagoon;
- Bamboo Green: Bar with a relaxed atmosphere, also located on the banks of Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon, ideal for those who value outdoor spaces with unique views of the neighborhood’s attraction.
Parks and fun for the whole family
Lagoa is the perfect neighborhood for families who want to live in a quiet residential area. And, the neighborhood’s infrastructure has all the necessary attributes to provide comfort to residents.
For example, the Lagoa region has interesting attractions for families to enjoy leisure time outdoors, or even to practice physical exercise. Thus, among the leisure options located around Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon, some indications are:
- The Catacumba Municipal Natural Park has its own viewpoint and is close to the Sacopã viewpoint. The attraction is a good option for those who love hiking or want to enjoy unique views;
- ParCão da Lagoa is an ideal space for walks with pets;
- Parque das Figueiras has ample space for leisure moments and is close to the Babilônia Feira Hype crafts fair;
- In addition to other park options such as the pleasant Tom Jobim Park, the sporting Parque Cristo Redentor and the Parque dos Patins, which has a skate park, playground and where it is possible to access pedal boats for a charming walk on Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon.
And, although Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon itself is not suitable for swimmers, it is possible to practice sports, such as rowing, wakeboarding and even stand up paddle — a style of surfing with a paddle. In addition to these options, the neighborhood has the Sociedade Hípica Brasileira, the oldest equestrian club in Brazil, which is an excellent alternative for practicing equestrian sports and other activities.
In fact, the various attractions mentioned in this article are just some of the highlights located around the famous Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon. The captivating residential area of Lagoa is one of the most complete in the city.
Luxury properties on the shore of the Lagoon
Thus, the infrastructure of the Lagoa neighborhood provides a multitude of amenities that add true comfort to the daily lives of its residents. Both this and other qualities make the neighborhood coveted for housing.
For families who want to live in a complete region in the South Zone of Rio de Janeiro and enjoy an address that provides excellent connections, Lagoa is an incredible option. Several luxury condominiums are well situated on the banks of Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon. The residential areas around the attraction are highly valued.
And, depending on the location of the property, it is possible to enjoy a charming view of Rio’s main postcard, Christ the Redeemer, in addition to having the Lagoa itself as a central landscape. The most relevant roads in the neighborhood are: Avenida Epitácio Pessoa and Avenida Borges de Medeiros. Thus, condominiums in the region enjoy easy access to a rich network of necessary shops and services.
Furthermore, restaurants, bars, parks and other leisure attractions are also well located close to the roads. The neighborhood’s location makes it easy to travel to neighboring neighborhoods, such as Leblon, Ipanema, Gávea and Jardim Botânico.
Lagoa has other amenities in its infrastructure, such as hospitals, gyms, medical centers, convenience stores, schools, supermarkets, museum and many other establishments.
Certainly, living in Lagoa means choosing to enjoy unique landscapes every day. If you want to discover modern properties in the region, count on INVEXO – a real estate agency specializing in luxury properties in Rio de Janeiro.
Living in Lagoa means being in contact with the main natural beauties of Rio de Janeiro. This is an upscale neighborhood in the capital of Rio de Janeiro, with a lot of history and tradition. At Invexo, you can discover the best luxury residential properties in Lagoa, such as apartments and penthouses close to the most beautiful landscapes of Rio de Janeiro.